httpd-dev mailing list archives

From bill stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: [community] 2.3.0 alpha on October 1?
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:24:02 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:
> On 9/2/08 3:15 PM, "bing swen" <bswen@pku.edu.cn> wrote:
>

>> It seems the test (done by another guy) indeed used an "everything plus the
>> kitchen sink" default Apache httpd at first, but then "dropping off 3/4 of
>> all of the default modules" (maybe not that much, but only for serving
>> static pages) seemed to have a not big help. The MPM used the default
>> configuration (prefork on Linux and threads on Windows). [not your
>> settings?]
>>

> Egads, no wonder they got such horrible performance.
No kidding :-)
>   Worker (or event,
> maybe) seems to be the best way to go, at least based on our testing.
> People who do performance "benchmarks" on Linux with default config and
> prefork are careless at best.
Yep, if your testing how well Apache handles concurrent connections, you
must use worker (thread per connection dispatch model with known
production quality on multiple platforms, windows excluded) or event
(works well on some platforms but maybe not fully vetted on many
platforms).   That said, it is possible to hand craft benchmarks to
demonstrate any particular 'feature' of the code your showing off.
Whether those hand crafted benchmarks are realistic is another matter
entirely.

Bill