httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "bing swen" <bs...@pku.edu.cn>
Subject Re: [community] 2.3.0 alpha on October 1?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:15:41 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:07 AM

> I saw this comparison somewhere.  It just does not seem to match what I
> have
> seen.  Our little ole website has been known to take a few connections
> from
> slow clients, but we have not really seen this slow down.  I'd like to see
> more specifics of the test.  All of my numbers are from real world
> "stuff."

It seems the test (done by another guy) indeed used an "everything plus the
kitchen sink" default Apache httpd at first, but then "dropping off 3/4 of
all of the default modules" (maybe not that much, but only for serving
static pages) seemed to have a not big help. The MPM used the default
configuration (prefork on Linux and threads on Windows). [not your
settings?]

> (FYI, "NAPI" is just a way which Linux handles NIC irq's better - a gross
> simplification, but it makes a huge difference on very busy web servers.
> I'm sure other OS's have something similar?)

Maybe that was a big difference. (The "default Linux" didn't provide such
feature.) But it might have limited help for greatly increasing the
connection number.

Bing
----
School of EE & CS,