httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Ward Comfort <icomf...@rescomp.stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Adding full environment variable support to mod_proxy_ajp
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:09:46 GMT
On 4 Sep 2008, at 2:54 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
> But if we're talking about the backend's env, then (optionally)
> inheriting it from the proxy seems to me to make semantic sense.

There is a logic to that strategy.  I for one rarely need the whole
environment forwarded, and would probably rather not take the
performance hit for the sake of logic.  (Reality interferes with clean
design again.)

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 02:00:47 -0700 Ian Ward Comfort <icomfort@rescomp.stanford.edu

> > wrote:
>> To me, 'ProxyEnvVar REMOTE_USER' is succinct and effective.
>
> I'd say quite the reverse!  REMOTE_USER is not normally an env var.
> It only becomes one if a consumer of the CGI env is in operation.
> In the case of a proxy, that means mod_rewrite, mod_include, or
> third-party module.  That'll truly confuse the users!

A poorly chosen example, then -- let's say 'ProxyEnvVar
WEBAUTH_LDAP_DISPLAYNAME'.  (I meant only that a ProxyEnvVar directive
made sense to me.)

>> But if new directives are anathema, I'm willing to implement a
>> different interface, if a suitable one can be found.
>
> There isn't a problem with new directives.  I merely suggested an
> alternative that I think makes sense in this instance.  Evidently
> not everyone agrees.  Bottom line: if you're doing the work, then
> you decide what approach you prefer.

Fair enough.  I'll keep an open mind in case a better suggestion
appears, and otherwise do something that works here.

--
Ian Ward Comfort <icomfort@rescomp.stanford.edu>
System Administrator, Student Computing, Stanford University