httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Adding full environment variable support to mod_proxy_ajp
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:21:44 GMT

On Aug 28, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:53:24 -0700
> Ian Ward Comfort <icomfort@rescomp.stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>> My environment is affected by bug 40047, the lack of a mod_proxy_ajp
>> equivalent to mod_jk's JkEnvVar directive.  (The mod_rewrite
>> gyrations required to work around this with AJP_* vars are too
>> unpleasant to maintain.)  If I write a patch for this feature, might
>> it stand a chance of upstream inclusion?  If so, thoughts on the
>> following would be appreciated.
>>
>> * The directive should probably be handled by mod_proxy.  It may be
>> relevant to protocols besides AJP, and mod_proxy already has
>> configuration objects, unlike mod_proxy_ajp.
>>
>> * A lot of the code can probably be reused from mod_jk, unless
>> anyone foresees a problem with this.
>>
>> * What's an appropriate name for the directive -- ProxyEnvVar?
>
> How big is this proposed patch?  A patch that can be reviewed in
> five minutes has a lower barrier to inclusion than one that a
> developer has to spend all day reviewing :-)
>
> Anyway, as an alternative to your proposal, would it fix your
> problem if variables set using SetEnv or PassEnv - or dynamically
> using mod_rewrite - were propagated to the backend appserver?
> If so, I'd think that a nicer solution than a new directive.

I think we would want some sort of control over which vars are
and aren't passed back, so I don't see how we could get around not
having another set of directives (unless we do something hankie
like PassEnv & FOO_HOO_BOO_HOO where the '&' means all envars
after the '&' should get passed thru)...

Even so, this seem more an enhancement for mod_env than mod_proxy
(although mod_proxy would be the prime user :) ) But, this
means, afaict with a quick glance, that some minor API bumps would
be needed (at least) so maybe doing it in mod_proxy would be an
easier pill to swallow (esp for anything hoped to be backported
to 2.2).