httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: mod_limitipconn for httpd 2.2 and mod_cache
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:22:23 GMT
Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> We might not be able to do much about that anyways but it should probably
>> be documented that it doesn't limit connections or assist in preventing
>> DoS attacks.
>
> Are you talking about mod_limitipconn? If you are, then rename it to something entirely
different
> like mod_null.

If our understanding is correct, these are one in the same, and
mod_limitipconn before submission to httpd behaved the same way
(worse, in that before Niklas' patch there was not only no DoS
protection from opening connections, but also no regular checking
of cached content.)

Sarcasm aside, it does seem that MaxConnPerIP and mod_limitipconn
are slightly misnomers.   These are limits on concurrent requests
(as was the original mod_limitipconn).

Bill