httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r686809 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy/mod_proxy_balancer.c
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 03:44:41 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Different issue; different response.
>
> Bill Barker wrote:
>> "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com> wrote in message
>>> -1.  Semicolon is a perfectly valid character in a session-id, so that
>>> risks breaking other apps.  The fact that Tomcat treats it as a
>>> separator doesn't commit other appservers to do the same.
>>
>> No, an un-escaped semicolon is a reserved character by RFC 2396,
>> section 2.2.  Since RFC 2616 section 3.2.1 uses 2396 as a reference,
>> then an un-escaped semicolon isn't valid in a session-id.

Sorry, I answered too quickly, everything in the reserved set have
two meanings in the context of the URI

>       reserved    = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" |
>                     "$" | ","

So let's study ";"'s meaning

3.3. Path Component

    The path component contains data, specific to the authority (or the
    scheme if there is no authority component), identifying the resource
    within the scope of that scheme and authority.

       path          = [ abs_path | opaque_part ]

       path_segments = segment *( "/" segment )
       segment       = *pchar *( ";" param )
       param         = *pchar

       pchar         = unreserved | escaped |

    The path may consist of a sequence of path segments separated by a
    single slash "/" character.  Within a path segment, the characters
    "/", ";", "=", and "?" are reserved.  Each path segment may include a
    sequence of parameters, indicated by the semicolon ";" character.
    The parameters are not significant to the parsing of relative