httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: worker MPM on trunk does not shut down cleanly
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:44:16 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> Nevertheless I think that the precleanup code in apr trunk and the
> changes to the reslist
> in apr-util trunk are not backportable just because of the example
> above: Code may break
> if you change an apr / apr-util 1.3 release under the hood. This should
> not happen.

I agree with you. However, like you observed this particular
apr_reslist usage was simply presuming the reslist was not already
destroyed, by doing nasty tricks and registering additional cleanup
on top of existing one so that we can mark the structure
(worker->cp->pool = NULL) element before calling apr_reslist_destroy
so that destructor callback knows their child pools have been
already destroyed, so it doesn't destroy them twice, and still
allows connection pool mix...max maintenance where the child
pools has to be explicitly destroyed so that memory doesn't leak.
All that is a total mess and hard to follow. With pre_cleanup,
the code is simpler and straightforward: constructors creates,
desctructor destroys, and that's it :)

Anyhow, porting that to 1.3 would probably break (presumption)
of the 'under the hood' behavior (not the API itself).

Regards
--
^(TM)