httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: worker MPM on trunk does not shut down cleanly
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:50:02 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> So does this mean that trunk is now based on a "broken" or
> incompatible version of apr? Do we need to now break off
> trunk to 2.4 and baseline APR 1.3 to allow trunk to now work
> with an incompatible APR rev?

There's no such thing as an incompatible APR revision.  Those would
be "bugs" that need to be reverted, and patches are welcome.  This
should be considered an "incompatible" version of APR w.r.t. those
features.

There will "have to" be a 2.4 (or 3.0) once we decide to adopt APR 2,
because there will be no binary or legacy compatibility thunks.  But
in the meantime, it's enough to recommend a particular version, e.g.
state that APR 1.3.3 is required for httpd 2.2.9 and later.  Older
modules will still load and should continue to behave as they had.

The reslist debate has bogged down dev@apr progress towards a 1.3.3
release, but until the debate is resolved and apr 1.2.x behavior is
restored, it's pointless to move forwards.  So the more eyes the
merrier (both Mladen and Bojan are asking for additional review!)