httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "vikas patil" <vikas.a.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Dynamic modification of rules when using mod_proxy
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:13:22 GMT
Hi,
     I have set of backend servers and I use Apache with its mod_proxy
module. These backend servers are constantly updated and hence I would have
to change the proxy configuration to in-corporate these changes. At present
my script basically updates these changes and essentially does a
reload(graceful restart) of Apache. But when the backend cluster becomes
huge and changes are too frequent(say one in every 10 seconds or so on a
comparable scale) reloading of Apache seems like a costly operation. So is
there a way of dynamically modify the proxy rules without having to reload.
If not are there any hooks available to achieve this kind of a behaviour ?

     The reason I choose to go for posting into the dev-list is that I found
a similar discussion unanswered in the users-list (
http://markmail.org/message/43rw3yi5nxj6bqbs ). And also there is a mention
of such kind of a feature in the future releases of Apache in this article :
http://people.apache.org/~mturk/docs/article/ftwai.html.

Thanks and Regards,

Vikas A Patil