httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Federico Mennite <>
Subject Connection Timeout vs. Request Timeout in reverse [balanced]proxies
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:25:25 GMT
up to the release of apache 2.2.4 the 'timeout' parameter of the
BalancerMember directive would affect only the connection timout to the
backend servers. This allowed to set reasonably small timeout
values(let's say 1 or 2 seconds) in a scenario where the balancer and
the backends would sit in the same LAN.
Starting from apache 2.2.6, it seems that the timeout value also affects
the backend request completion timeout.

Unfortunately some of our backend requests may take up to 10s to complete.
Increasing the timeout value to 15 seconds causes an annoying 'stall'
behavior when one of the backend servers becomes completely unreachable
(e.g: power failure).

I think it definitively makes sense to have both timeouts configurable
Are there already any plans in that direction?

Federico Mennite
Software Engineer
Lifeware SA                      Web:

View raw message