httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.2.9 default bindist/apr library problem
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:05:17 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> You can certainly do this; it reverts to apr-1.2 behavior.
>
> Sadly, mainline packages are exactly what the dso option was added for.
> When building httpd for the mass consumer, it's not possible to predict
> which of 6 sql, 4 db and ldap modules they will actually use.  The
> combined
> footprint of these at runtime is asinine.
I would think that in the case of a mainline package, the final
installation path would be predictable (at least if it's something like
a Linux distribution or something like that) so the apr-util-1 directory
would be the same as what it was configured/built for.
> Of course; this is no different
> that a typical monolithic php build, and loading both, apr-util dso will
> save you little except for a few additional relocs since these libs were
> already slurped in ;-)
Yeah, I think given the targeted use we bundle apache for the
"workaround" of using --disable-util-dso is really the solution for the
problem for us.

Thanks for the info and help,
Andy