httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r678179 - /httpd/httpd/branches/2.2.x/STATUS
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:37:29 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:09:23 -0400
"Eric Covener" <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM,  <niq@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >  * mod_auth_digest: Detect during startup when AuthDigestProvider
> >    is configured to use an incompatible provider via
> > AuthnProviderAlias. @@ -164,6 +149,10 @@
> >    Backport version for 2.2.x of patch:
> >         http://people.apache.org/~covener/2.2.x-digest_vs_authnalias-2.diff
> >    +1: covener, rpluem
> > +   -1: niq: looks like a major MMN bump to me, in that it'll
> > +            break binary compatibility with old compilations
> > +            of authn modules (has_realm_hash being undefined).
> > +            Why not just test get_realm_hash - as in the else
> > clause?
>
> Is it kosher to pull the API extension from trunk? A less intrusive
> (AuthnProviderAlias-only) solution occurred to me while reading your
> note.  Would the (incorrect) minor bump be left in place or can it be
> reverted?

I'd say it wants a major bump that'll draw the line under likely
breakage.  Fortunately that's allowed in /trunk/.

I should add: my first thought on reviewing this was that has_* should
be a bitfield so it could be generalised to other methods.  But I
still don't see why just testing whether the get_realm_hash member
is NULL isn't sufficient for you.

> (AuthnProviderAlias can just register a different authn_provider
> struct and not put a reference to its own own get_realm_hash() in it)

As RĂ¼diger just said, Hmm?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/