httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Edmundsson <ni...@acc.umu.se>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] merge mod_limitipconn into httpd
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:22:05 GMT
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008, David Jao wrote:

> Ian Holsman (Lists) wrote:
>> My only concern with the module is that it can't be used across servers.
>> So I am not sure how useful it would be non-trivial sites. with
>> stateless load balancing. (where the IP is not guaranteed to visit the
>> same machine for the next request)

> Even without shared state, one can still enforce crude limits by
> configuring a limit on each individual server.  For example, if you are
> load balancing across five machines, and each machine has a limit of 2,
> then the farm as a whole has a limit of 10, which is not great, but
> still better than nothing (IMO anyway).  If you have a million machines,
> then this won't work, but at that point you probably have enough money
> to solve this problem some other way.

I agree. The module isn't (currently) designed to be a precise
instrument, but rather to enforce an absolute maximum, and as such it
does its job while keeping the module relatively simple. For example,
our usecase on ftp.acc.umu.se is setting a limit of 10 on each of our
frontends. It doesn't matter much that it sums up to quite a lot while
adding up all frontends, because we just want to put a hamper on the
most blatant abuse by download-agents that makes a single server run
into MaxClients...

It can surely be improved, but I also have the gut feeling that we
should aim at keeping this simple and let the more ambitious projects
handle complex stuff like shared state and so on.

In its current form mod_limitipconn is a simple module which won't
need much maintenance, and as such it could be added to httpd without
causing much work for the committers. If it had been complex and
requiring much maintenance I doubt that I would have proposed to merge
it into httpd in the first place...

/Nikke
  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}.umu.se      |     nikke@acc.umu.se
  Everyone has a scheme that will not work