httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <>
Subject Re: mod_disk_cache jumbopatch - 2.2.9 version
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:25:44 GMT
On 6/19/08 5:35 PM, "Niklas Edmundsson" <> wrote:

> Brian: I remember you talking about some in-house modifications using
> DBM or something to track accesses to cached data and using it to find
> candidates to remove. Care to share?

On every cache store, we write out to a pipe some info (url, filename, time,
expire time, size, and probably some more stuff).  This pipe is read by a
really simple perl script that sticks this stuff in a mysql database.  The
actual "cache manager" is a fast-cgi script for "manual" ejections and is
ran "on the command line" via cron to "prune" the cache.  (it includes a
small bit on Inline C.)  This was done as a prototype, but works so well
that we kept it.  I think this was in one of my apachecon presentations.
I'll try to look it up.

Wish I could share source... That's a discussion  I have been having here
for 5 years...

BTW, XFS sucked for us.  It would randomly go into la-la land and nothing
could be read or written.  A mildly tuned ext3 seems to be good enough,
although some of our caches live in /dev/shm...

Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer
Turner Digital Media Technologies

View raw message