httpd-dev mailing list archives

From David Jao <d...@dominia.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] merge mod_limitipconn into httpd
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:12:59 GMT
Ian Holsman (Lists) wrote:
> My only concern with the module is that it can't be used across servers.
> So I am not sure how useful it would be non-trivial sites. with
> stateless load balancing. (where the IP is not guaranteed to visit the
> same machine for the next request)
>
> Have you given any thought of using memcache or something to share the
> state across a farm so that it could be useful in those situations?

I never considered the server farm scenario when writing this module.  I
don't have such a server farm myself, and I wouldn't be able to handle
the thorny issues involved in programming for such a scenario.

A major goal of mine was to keep the module simple.  Adding shared state
or equivalent would make the module much more complicated.  I have no
objection if someone else does this work, but I can't do it myself.

Even without shared state, one can still enforce crude limits by
configuring a limit on each individual server.  For example, if you are
load balancing across five machines, and each machine has a limit of 2,
then the farm as a whole has a limit of 10, which is not great, but
still better than nothing (IMO anyway).  If you have a million machines,
then this won't work, but at that point you probably have enough money
to solve this problem some other way.

-David