httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Res <...@ausics.net>
Subject apache mod_dbd/htaccess
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 06:53:14 GMT
Hi,

I have a request for a feature in Apache.

Basically I was wondering if it could include the ability to use
AuthBasicProvider, AuthDBDUserPWQuery etc in a .htaccess file, like we
can place in a directory block.

Perhaps this was already looked at and discarded as a serious performance
impact? We are looking at our members section, which is in its own vhost
block, to provide members with database capability for access to a protected
directory (this is actually for minors to protect any profiles/pics they
put up on home pages, they restrict this information to their friends
where they can add/delete user/pass pairs for whoever they want to view
it),  we are running one database and a table per user.

AuthDBDUserPWQuery "SELECT pass FROM <members_name> WHERE user = %s"
htaccess denies me to do this, I am aware of the impact in activating
htaccess, but as you can imagine doing this for a lot of members has the
potential to see a very large httpd.conf if we do it all in special
directory blocks.

Perhaps this is a non-issue and it matters not how big the conf file is, well,
so long as we have the memory I suppose.

So could I request this feature, if not found to be a resource problem, to
be included in a future Apache release?

Thanks
Res