httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Palm Treo access to OWA via Apache 2.2.x Proxy
Date Thu, 22 May 2008 20:52:11 GMT

On May 21, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> As I said, everything works fine this way.  With mod_proxy in the mix
> however:
>
>   1 TREO   Sends OPTIONS request to Apache (Connection: Keep-Alive)
>   2 Apache Sends OPTIONS request to IIS (Connection: Close)
>   3 IIS    Replies with 200 OK (Connection: Close)
>   4 Apache Sends 200 OK back to Treo (Connection: Close)
>   5 Apache Sends SSLv3 Close Notify to Treo
>   6 Apache Sends FIN,ACK to Treo
>   7 TREO   Sends POST /Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync... (Connection:
> Keep-Alive)
>   8 Apache Sends ACK to Treo
>   9 Apache Sends Dup ACK to Treo
>  10 Apache Sends Dup ACK to Treo
>
> Timeout...
>
> I attempted to backport the patches mentioned here:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=657440
>
> In the hopes it might address this, but I'm still seeing the
> connection
> prematurely closed around #5, #6 above.  I *believe* this is the cause
> of my issue but am not positive.  The Treo continues to try and use an
> existing connection that no longer exists, and Apache keeps sending
> Connection: close headers.

I don't see how this is a bug. Why does the TREO not
close the socket and reopen another? How is it "premature"?
The server can decide to say "That's enough" at any time and
the client must honor that. Instead, it looks like the
TREO is seeing 'Connection: close' and ignoring it and
considering the connection persistent.