httpd-dev mailing list archives

From toki...@aol.com
Subject Re: Palm Treo access to OWA via Apache 2.2.x Proxy
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 00:41:21 GMT

> Believe I may have this working now.
>
> The Treo was sending its Host header as follows:
>
> Host:<hostname.esri.com>
>
> (Note the lack of space betwen the colon and hostname.? This probably
> isn't valid but was corrected by Apache as it proxied the request on to
> IIS.? However, maybe the initial invalid header there somehow caused
> Apache to decide the connection wouldn't support Keep-Alives?

Nope.

My test client is a Perl SOCKET level IO deal and I am able
to send EXACTLY what was in your email as the 'fake' Treo
request, including the 'messed up' Host:redowadev.esri.com
header which is missing the SPACE character after the colon.

Doesn't make any difference here.

Apache parses the 'Host:' header with no problems and, as you
said, corrects the header when it forwards it upstream, but
the original 'fixing' of the inbound header appears to have
nothing to do with any decision making with regards to
'Connection: close'.

It's still a total mystery where that 'Connection: close'
is actually coming from and I still cannot make it happen.

> In any case, when I add:
>
>? RequestHeader set Host "hostname.esri.com"
>
> Everything works! ?

Super!

Using 'RequestHeader' here on a test causes no change
whatsoever. Everything works as it should either with
or without it.

> The odd thing is is that Apache was still matching
> on the correct name based virtual host.... so perhaps regular apache
> virtual hosting uses a different system for validating the Host header
> than mod_proxy does...
>
> Hallelujah!? And thanks to all who bore with me on this issue.
>
> Ray

Glad you have a working solution but
something tells me this isn't over yet.

Still curious about who/what is/was adding that
'Connection: close' and why.

If it starts appearing again give a shout.

Yours
Kevin Kiley

The Treo was sending its Host header as follows:

Host:<hostname.esri.com>

(Note the lack of space betwen the colon and hostname.  This probably
isn't valid but was corrected by Apache as it proxied the request on to
IIS.  However, maybe the initial invalid header there somehow caused
Apache to decide the connection wouldn't support Keep-Alives?

In any case, when I add:

  RequestHeader set Host "hostname.esri.com"

Everything works!  The odd thing is is that Apache was still matching