httpd-dev mailing list archives

From toki...@aol.com
Subject Re: Palm Treo access to OWA via Apache 2.2.x Proxy
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 05:21:15 GMT

 Ah... okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds you are just stuck in the middle trying
to deal with a broken client. I thought you might
be trying to actually implement the client software
or something.

Sure, you can fix this.

Just get in with a monkey wrench if you have to and force mod_proxy
to honor 'Keep-Alive' for an OPTIONS request and the behavior
should then be identical to the ( known good ) direct-to-IIS example.

However... if you have a client that just 'assumes' connections
stay active just because it sent 'Connection: Keep-Alive' and
isn't bothering to check the actual connection responses from
Servers then this initial handshake thing is going to be the
least of your worries.

That's a client-side boo-boo that's going to keep jumping up
and biting everyone in the buttocks and it won't hurt to
point that out to whoever is responsible for that client.

Good luck.

PS: Still just curious. What is the HTTP/x.x value actually
being sent by the "The Treo" for the exchange in question?. Is it
the older HTTP/1.0 or is it actually requesting full HTTP/1.1 functionality?
Sometimes that comes into play with this 'Keep-Alive' stuff.
If it's sending HTTP/1.0 then perhaps mod_proxy is simply obeying
strict standards and that's why it changes 'Keep-Alive' back to 'Close'.
'Keep-Alive' was not 'officially' part of the HTTP/1.0 specs. It just sort
of 'crept in there' and was available BEFORE full implementation of
HTTP/1.1. So there's still a lot of confusion out there and a lot of 'looking
the other way' going on with regards to 'Keep-Alive'. Some code
tries to be strict ( Apache, generally ) and others are 'loose' ( Microsoft/IIS? ).

Example: MS Internet Explorer has always had an 'Advanced Option'
which allows you to decide to use HTTP/1.1 for "Proxy Connections"
but it is OFF by default. Default behavior for MSIE Proxy requests is
to use the older HTTP/1.0. However... that doesn't mean it won't use
"Keep-Alive". It treats that part of the HTTP/1.1 spec as an exception.

Apologies in advance if this is all just old news to you.

On my own Microsft Windows Mobile Treo, however, this legacy
"Advanced Option" is missing. The Pocket Internet Explorer Browser
under Windows Mobile will ALWAYS send an HTTP/1.1 request.