httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: PR42829
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 13:07:13 GMT
Nick Kew wrote:
> As for maintaining local patches, he's not the only one doing that,
> and our license clearly allows it.  Licenses that restrict such
> things seem to be widely disliked: c.f. DJB/qmail.

We've made a concerted effort to supply all patches back, yet we always
find that we maintain a few local patches.  We don't want to, but there
are various bits that we just never successfully pushed back for one
reason or another, e.g.:

    * mod_authn_alias.dep/.dsp/.mak: changes for building on Windows
          o Not sure why [as I'm no longer doing these builds myself]
            could be to allow us to build with an older MS studio
    * mod_deflate.c: added support for a response header which will
      allow responses (e.g. from Tomcat) to dynamically opt out of
      compression
          o code was suggested on the Apache lists, but uninteresting to
            Apache trunk apparently
    * util_ldap*.c: still changing '#if APR_HAS_SHARED_MEMORY' to '#if
      0' as last we checked the shared memory stuff was still unstable
      with the worker MPM -- at least on Solaris and AIX

--
Jess Holle