httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Lind <mrtiml...@gmail.com>
Subject Resource protection, specified by a database
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 11:37:18 GMT
Hi

Is there a way to enforce digest protection on a per resource basis
through the use of database as opposed to an htaccess file? So that the
database maintains which resources can be accessed by which groups and
what resources require authorization. This is so that access protection
can be dynamically set on a per resource basis without needing to edit
htaccess files.

Also, in the same scheme, is it possible to specify that the digest
authentication should be optional? i.e. not send an unauthorized header,
just a WWW-Authenticate header. I'm not referring to hacks such as
remove a header I mean a proper module that takes in this option,
preferably to work with the module that does the database specification
of resource protection.

I'm guessing it would involve setting a custom authentication module for
the entire tree, which then consulted a database to see whether it
actually needed to require an authorization header, and check the
database that the authenticated user should be authorized for the given
resource.

Seen as your authentication framework has changed a bit, and I see there
is a authz_dbd module in development, is there any plan for work in this
regard? Does this sound like a feasible manner to accomplish this?

Tim