httpd-dev mailing list archives

From John ORourke <john-p...@o-rourke.org>
Subject Re: bugs/inappropriate coding practice discovered by interproceduralcode analysis for version 2.2.8 of Apache
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 20:07:03 GMT
Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On tor, 2008-05-15 at 21:00 +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
>
>>>  \apache\src\log.c(682):        apr_file_puts(errstr, logf);
>>>
>> I see nothing reasonable that we can do in this situation but ignoring the error.
>>

> syslog?

Please excuse me barging in here but I think it's appropriate to look at
typical use for this one.

This error would typically happen on a busy site with a full log
partition.  Writing to syslog is likely to fail for the same reason, and
in a typical setup a full /var partition is going to cause all sorts of
problems.  Good log files are very important on busy and/or distributed
sites, and sometimes business critical.

As a sysadmin I would prefer apache to die rather than end up with
corrupt logs, but I think the default should remain as it is, so perhaps
this could be a config file option?  LogFaultAction or something.

cheers
John