httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: jumbo patch from 39380 - and moving things 'up' to mod_cache itself
Date Sat, 10 May 2008 01:05:44 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> I think the bigger idea that mod_cache must handle all rfc related issues
> is key.  mem and disk cache should never have had substantial differences
> in behavior, but they do.
>
> So the more we can consolidate in mod_cache w.r.t. the requests themselves,
> the less the backend old-disk, large-disk, mem, memcached or other
> providers
> will break things.  So proving that the all this logic belongs in neither
> the old-disk or large-disk cache is a very useful exercise.

Definitely.

The large_disk_cache however was a redesign of some of the underlying
principles of the existing disk_cache, and as a result it needed time to
be bedded down and fully agreed to by everybody. Not having it in the
tree at all means that it may lose out on Dirk's improvements.

Regards,
Graham