httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: jumbo patch from 39380 - and moving things 'up' to mod_cache itself
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 22:57:17 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
>
>> I'm not convinced that forking the disk cache having two similar ones
>> tuned for different usecases is a good idea in the long run, I'm
>> pretty sure that the parts that needs tweaking can be solved with
>> config options and documentation. For a development sprint like this
>> it seems sane though, although one option could be to simply do a
>> branch of modules/cache and go wild with the controversial parts until
>> all parties are satisfied.
>
> I think in the long run, the large_disk_cache can probably replace the
> standard disk cache we have now. Running them in parallel however gives
> us the chance to address the issues in the large_disk_cache, eventually
> we'd probably want to retire the old disk cache.

I think the bigger idea that mod_cache must handle all rfc related issues
is key.  mem and disk cache should never have had substantial differences
in behavior, but they do.

So the more we can consolidate in mod_cache w.r.t. the requests themselves,
the less the backend old-disk, large-disk, mem, memcached or other providers
will break things.  So proving that the all this logic belongs in neither
the old-disk or large-disk cache is a very useful exercise.