httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Revamped apachemonitor.exe trunk/ needs review
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 16:10:19 GMT
Looking for backport votes in STATUS to move the current trunk/ code into
our 2.2.x and 2.0.x branches for apachemonitor.c.  The module has been
taught ucs-16 service names for our non-western-latin language friends
(it's a matter of replacing the /D "_MCBS" with /D "_UNICODE" and
/D "UNICODE" in the compilation).

It's been taught how to invoke the service control manager and reinvoke
itself for the administrator or vanilla user as a "real administrator"
with a password prompt, if it doesn't have permissions to start/stop
the server, such as when UAC is in effect.  This change is *required*
for Windows Vista and 2008 server by default, although UAC can be
disabled by and for the admin.  On 2003 and earlier, it just serves as
a nice-to-have (and will make you pick the admin user + password, not
simply enter the admin p/w).

For the few of you who want to test this directly, I've compiled trunk
and dropped the binary to http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/ if you just
want to avoid compilation.  There are VC6 builds for regular as well as
the unicode flavor.  The VS2005 builds require the VS2005 C runtime, and
are X64 flavors for your experimentation.

Bill