httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Revamped apachemonitor.exe trunk/ needs review
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 16:10:19 GMT
Looking for backport votes in STATUS to move the current trunk/ code into
our 2.2.x and 2.0.x branches for apachemonitor.c.  The module has been
taught ucs-16 service names for our non-western-latin language friends
(it's a matter of replacing the /D "_MCBS" with /D "_UNICODE" and
/D "UNICODE" in the compilation).

It's been taught how to invoke the service control manager and reinvoke
itself for the administrator or vanilla user as a "real administrator"
with a password prompt, if it doesn't have permissions to start/stop
the server, such as when UAC is in effect.  This change is *required*
for Windows Vista and 2008 server by default, although UAC can be
disabled by and for the admin.  On 2003 and earlier, it just serves as
a nice-to-have (and will make you pick the admin user + password, not
simply enter the admin p/w).

For the few of you who want to test this directly, I've compiled trunk
and dropped the binary to if you just
want to avoid compilation.  There are VC6 builds for regular as well as
the unicode flavor.  The VS2005 builds require the VS2005 C runtime, and
are X64 flavors for your experimentation.

View raw message