httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ray Van Dolson <rvandol...@esri.com>
Subject Re: Palm Treo access to OWA via Apache 2.2.x Proxy
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 04:50:30 GMT
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:03:23PM -0700, tokiley@aol.com wrote:

> Your posts keep saying "The Treo does this" and the "Treo does
> that" and "likelihood of fixing Treos is 0 percent"...
>
> ...but I'm a little confused.
>
> What SOFTWARE are we talking about on the "Treo".
> The "Treo" is just a handheld. It does what it's told to do.
>
> Are you using one of the carrier's standard browsers or
> is this is custom piece of software sending this intitial
> OPTIONS request and then ignoring the 'Connection: Close'
> from the Server?

I think the latter.  The web browser component of the Treo software
appears to work correctly, it's just the ActiveSync portion that is
failing (part of the mail application).

> If it's a piece of custom software then the likelihood of
> at least fixing the "Why doesn't the Treo respond correctly
> to Close Connection" part of this issue is actually
> around 100 percent. Just fix the client and send out
> updates.
>
> It is NOT a 'bug' for a Proxy server to decide to send
> 'Connection: Close' to an upstream server even if the
> original request contains "Connection: Keep-Alive".
>
> It IS, however, a definite bug on the client side if a Server
> sends 'Connection: Close' and the client still behaves as
> if the connection is active.

Believe me, I understand this.  I will definitely push Palm to address
this issue with whatever influence I can wield. :)

However, as Apache has other environment type settings that allow
overriding of behaviors for other broken clients, I was hoping to
discover something similar that might do the trick here -- or that an
option could even be added.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Ray