httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Solaris sed based apache filtering module (mod_sed)
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 03:32:09 GMT
On 9 Apr 2008, at 03:40, Basant.Kukreja@Sun.COM wrote:
> Hi,
> mod_sed is a sed[1] based Apache filtering module, with the sed
> code based on
> opensolaris sed. sed scripting offers a more familiar interface to
> build
> powerful filters. This mod_sed is designed to work with Apache HTTP
> server
> version 2.2 and above.

Thanks.  This is useful stuff.  Of course mod_sed overlaps with
mod_line_edit
and mod_substitute, but you're the first to support both input and
output
filtering.  My knowledge of sed itself is limited to the same kind of
search-
and-replace those filters offer, but I have an idea it does a little
more than
just that, too.  Any performance comparisons with its competitors?

> Design of this filter is in the way that regexp.c, regexp.h, sed0.c
> sed1.c,
> libsed.h can be made part of the apr. While the filter code mod_sed.c
> will be a filter module which can reside under modules directory. This
> way other modules can also take advantage of sed libraries.

I think you mean you've adapted the sed code to run on APR pools,
and updated it for thread-safety/reentrancy.  Once we have a
modular build system in a release version of apr-util, that could
perhaps fit nicely as an apr_sed module.  But that's a whole other
discussion.

> Please have a look into the code and provide your comments.

Well, I've had a preview of this, and it's good :-)

--
Nick Kew