httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: caching - serializing tables and what not
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:35:51 GMT
On 4/25/08 5:27 AM, "Dirk-Willem van Gulik" <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:

>         ->      mod_memcached and lots of others do
>                         'key' \0 'value' \0
>                         '\0'

I like, and use, this format.  However, I do not think we need to convert
numbers to network order or ascii-ize integers.  Most (all?) sites use same
basic hardware for entire farm.  Plus, in the case of local caches (disk &
mem) this doesn't make sense.  And it is a performance hit (ever slight) to
call aton() on every cache read.  The older version of the disk cache stored
all the metadata in ascii and we eliminated it for performance reasons.

Mod_cache is filled with lots of "small" performance hits.  I don't really
want to introduce any more without good reason.  One day, when I have time,
I want to go through and strip out a lot of the "small" hits that are there,
just to see what difference it makes.  Of course, I've been meaning to do
that for 2 years...

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer