httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Configuration Issues to Address [was Re: Dynamic configuration for the hackathon?]
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:18:26 GMT
On 4/2/08 5:50 PM, "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> ixnay on the run-time intensive, slow down the server sorts of changes.
> httpd continues to become slower as it becomes more powerful.  I know you
> are the first one to raise your hand and point out when we are doing too
> much processing for too simple a request.  Isn't this what modules are for?
>
> Perhaps you could elaborate?

Yes, there is always a fine line between configuration and performance, I
suppose.

Basically, at the heart of what I'm imagining is everything is per_dir (no
real per-server configs) and the "fancy configuration stuff" really boils
down to per-dir config merges.  The "parser" or "language" needs to be small
and quick and do most of it's heavy lifting in post-config (parse and cache
the tree, don't do the full string parsing at run time).  Sorta how
mod_rewrite works now...  The If/Else stuff would probably be able to do
this..

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer