httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Ship 1.3.0 apr in httpd 2.2.9
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 10:48:54 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> here is my idea:
>
> Ship 1.3.0 with httpd 2.2.x, but do *not* make httpd dependent on 1.3.x
> now. Wait for this until 1.3.x has settled a bit more and things like
> the ones Nick mentioned are fixed.

I'm not entirely keen on this idea; the reasons being

  * we want to pick up 1.3 api's to fix log file creation 'the right way'
  * users looking at the mmn expect a certain baseline; explaining why
    they cannot compile this module which is purported to run with httpd
    ver 2.2.9 or later would become too complicated.

> Furthermore I could image adding apr-1.2.x / apr-util-1.2.x directories
> to our tarballs for the next release to make it easy for users to fall
> back to 1.2.x if there is some kind of regression in 1.3.0.

Now that the code is branched, we should ensure there is fundamentally
no difference in existing 1.2.x functionality; we can't break abi or
even significantly change behaviors, only add "new things"

> But it might be also ok to require the users in these cases to download
> 1.2.x separately drop in the sources and call buildconf.

well if there is no difference between 1.2 and 1.3, and we recognize
that the first 1.3.0 is entirely not solving the problem for memcached
for example, we could change the prereq to 1.3.1 for the next release
to ensure they have the bug-free implementation for the next httpd tag.

Bill