httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Apache 3.0
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 22:13:23 GMT
Paul Querna wrote:
> For those who were not there, slides from Roy's keynote at ApacheCon EU:
>   <http://roy.gbiv.com/talks/200804_Apache3_ApacheCon.pdf>

I've got a couple of naive questions about 3.
My apologies.. but i'm only looking at the slides, not the speech itself.

What will the role of apache 3 be. on slides 10 thru 13 you show the
history and it's uses, I'm just wondering if you have any dreams on how
this will make the internet a better place to be.

Or are you intending 3.0 to be more of a consolidation/simplification of
the codebase to base new ideas on?

you mention 'adult serfs' in the slide, but you don't really go into
it.. how are these going to change my life. (my life being as a
sysadmin/module developer/reverse proxy user)

if v3 will be waka only, what will happen to POP3, FTP and the other
protocol support?

waka .. would i be wrong in saying that waka is a compressed version of
http 1.x ?
what other things does it give me (a application developer or a browser)
that http doesn't give.
Is the main aim to reduce the size of the header, if so what have you
done about cookies/state passing, which take up most of the space on
some domains.

have you got one of the browser groups onboard to write something that
talks "waka"?

is waka stateless?

multi-language support. are you planning on integrating multiple
language support into it from the onset?

It looks like a cool idea, i'm still trying to wrap my head around how I
would use it to make my system design better than what I have today, but
I did the same thing when I first heard about 2.0

regards
Ian