httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Time Based Releases
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:20:56 GMT
This is something I have been thinking about for awhile, and discussed
with a few other http server people before.

I think that for the 'stable' branch, we should move to time based releases.

My proposal is for every 2 months, we do a release of the main stable
branch, which at this time is 2.2.x.

Security Issues of great importance of course would trigger an immediate
release.  Depending on the nearness to a scheduled release, we may or
may not scrap the next time based release.

A history of the 2.2.x releases:
     2.2.0   : Released on December 1, 2005 as GA.
     2.2.1   : Tagged on April 1, 2006, not released.
     2.2.2   : Released on May 1, 2006 as GA.
     2.2.3   : Released on July 28, 2006 as GA.
     2.2.4   : Released on January 9, 2007 as GA.
     2.2.5   : Tagged August 10, 2007, not released.
     2.2.6   : Released September 7, 2007.
     2.2.7   : Tagged January 4, 2008. Not released.
     2.2.8   : Tagged January 10, 2008.
     2.2.9   : In development

With a 2 month cycle, starting with 2.2.9 in mid-April, we would do the
following releases in 2008 to early 2009:

   2.2.9: April
   2.2.10: June
   2.2.11: August
   2.2.12: October
   2.2.13: December
   2.2.14: February 2009

I also volunteer to be the Release Manager for the first couple
releases, assuming no one else really wants to do them :-)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Paul