httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r646281 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES include/http_protocol.h modules/http/http_filters.c
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:05:38 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:

> The entire request body passes through the input filter stack when it is
> being discarded.  So an input filter inserted by a module can capture
> and buffer it somewhere very easily; and can provide access to that
> buffered copy however it likes, without needing to modify request_rec.

In practise it is not that simple[1].

If mod_include had its own kept_body filter, it would not take into
account the magic that mod_auth_form performs to keep the contents of
the end user's form from being lost.

In other words, modules need to cooperate with one another to make this
work effectively, and that means common code.

So where does this common code go?

HTTP request bodies being most closely associated with the HTTP
protocol, the http_module seemed the most logical place for this
functionality.

Others may disagree that the http_module is the best place for this, and
that is perfectly fine by me. I am open to suggestions for alternatives.

Just to be clear: the current intention is to add it to the HTTP module,
*not* the core.

The fact that the HTTP module still is half melted into a core is a
separate problem.

[1] Making KeptBodySize work was like getting blood out of a stone.

Regards,
Graham