httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Configuration Issues to Address [was Re: Dynamic configuration for the hackathon?]
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:38:17 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:
> On 4/2/08 5:56 PM, "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm pondering this... if we drop "per-server" ... yet retain the ability
>> for authors to factor their config info into related config sections...
>
> Yes... Bcs what IO am imagining is something like what I've posted before:
>
> <If HTTP_HEADER{'Host'} == www.cnn.com and Port == 8080>
>     DocumentRoot /www/cnn
>     ServerAdmin someone@domain.com
>     etc....
>
>    <If Location == /my/prefix>
>      Foo bar
>     </If>
> </If>
>
> Maybe no need for Directory, location, etc, either...

horribly inefficient, on a 10-fold order of magnitude.

But that *doesn't* mean I don't want it... simply not to replace directory,
file, location or method.  Keep in mind you wouldn't have your ErrorLog
opened at startup time, as this is too variant (unless the ErrorLog code
became really very clever - although dynamic patterns in the ErrorLog file
name could also make that impossible) ... but where you are very cautious
about your log file directive, and it's not a mass vhosting server, this
really wouldn't prove to be an issue.

Bill