httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: Configuration Issues to Address [was Re: Dynamic configuration for the hackathon?]
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:56:57 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>> -I have to write a good bit of code before a module is configurable. (I'm
>> lazy. Very lazy.)
> Agreed - see my first point.
> One interesting point; why do we keep per-server and per-dir sections?
> Perhaps it's time for a single simpler-to-use mechanic which can represent
> either or both (essentially deprecate per-server in 3.0).

I'm pondering this... if we drop "per-server" ... yet retain the ability
for authors to factor their config info into related config sections...

... we could divide the frequently-merged and infrequently-merged options
into two or more groups; the overall merge calls would run more quickly,
but the flexibility would be greatly enhanced.

Override-able ->document_root, anyone?

View raw message