httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Dynamic configuration for the hackathon?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:09:22 GMT
Akins, Brian wrote:

> My opinion (which is worthless, I know) is to pick one way and do it.  Lua
> is easy to learn and satisfies most (all?) of our requirements.  And if
> Brian M. and I can learn it, anyone can ;)

The trouble is, if I want to solve problem A ("configure the server"),
and I find out that before I can solve problem A ("configure the
server") I need to first solve problem B ("learn a new language"), that
is a big incentive to just ignore the new server and stick with httpd v2.

It makes no difference in the world how "easy" Lua is to learn, "no
learning required" will always beat "easy to learn" hands down every
single time.

The Apache config already supports the concepts of a "global" config,
and a per-request config (.htaccess), these basic things could easily
form the building blocks of a pluggable config mechanism, in whatever
language you like.

Regards,
Graham