httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Apache 3.0
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 06:31:26 GMT
On Apr 12, 2008, at 7:10 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> For those who were not there, slides from Roy's keynote at
> ApacheCon EU:
>   <http://roy.gbiv.com/talks/200804_Apache3_ApacheCon.pdf>

heh, good thing I managed to get the Internet connection to work long
enough
for the upload.

> The only reply I can really come up with is:
>
>   Patches Welcome.

Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches.

> I don't agree with, or disagree with all of the topics Roy
> discusses, and I do think we should focus more on 'fun' things, but
> I'm not sure we have an active enough community to really toss
> everything out, and plunge head first into a 3.0 development sprint.

We don't have to.  The point is that we should stop worrying about what
we have the time to do and just let whoever does have the time to do,
just do, in a way that we can make use of it when we do have the time.
If the result isn't worth adopting, then we don't adopt it as Apache 3.

We can steer the project wherever the majority want to go, but someone
has to provide the wheels.

....Roy