httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Skye Poier Nott <>
Subject Re: mod_proxy performance with apache 2.2
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2008 22:13:06 GMT
Interesting, well maybe a reworked proxy config would help.

How do I proxy requests without rewriting the URL?

Say my client makes a request for,
which resolves to the IP of my proxy on the client.  I want the proxy
to get the file from, the origin, and do the same with
virtual hosts,, etc.

All the examples in the Apache docs seem to assume the origin
(backend) is only serving one virtual host.

If I configure the proxy with either of

ProxyPass /
RewriteRule (.*)$1 [P]

Then all the requests on the origin are for the IP of the origin, not
the original named virtual host, so the wrong files get served from
the origin.

The only way I've been able to do this is to do:

RewriteRule (.*) http://%{HTTP_HOST}$1 [P]

and have the proxy server's DNS configured to resolve to, but that's not very nice if I'm
going to have 10,000+ vhosts.  I just want to pass the original
request to, is this possible???

I did this rather easily with lighttpd with the directive:

proxy.server  = ( "/" => ( ( "host" => "", "port" => 80 )))

View raw message