httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: Dynamic configuration for the hackathon?
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:46:49 GMT

Paul Querna wrote:
> Akins, Brian wrote:
>> On 3/26/08 9:06 AM, "Nick Kew" <nick@webthing.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There seems to be a demand for dynamic per-request configuration,
>>> as evidenced by the number of users hacking it with mod_rewrite,
>>> and the other very limited tools available.  Modern mod_rewrite
>>> usage commonly looks like programming, but it's not designed as
>>> a programming language.  Result: confused and frustrated users.
>>

>> This is what I had in mind when I suggested having <Lua> blocks of
>> code.  No
>> need to invent a new language when a perfectly fine one exists...
>>

> +1, and embed Lua in the core, and a dozen problems just like this are
> solved.

-0.5  PLEASE not in the core.  Make mod_wombat a standard module and
part of the default moduleset, whatever, but let's not make more core
dependencies, please?!?

If I get voted down (which is still pretty likely especially if all the
pro-lua'ers will be at the hackathon, whereas I won't :)) at least
consider trying to limit the embedded interpreter to the parent process
and preventing it from being inherited by the children, if possible (to
remove completely unnecessary bloating)

> Every complicated 'directive' is trying to be a programing language in
> the config file, but they aren't.
>
> Just look at SSLRequire, Rewrite*, MPM Process/Thread Management, Filter
> chaining, large Auth{N,Z} chains, and more.
>
> Imagine them not sucking.

Agreed.  That's why we have modules like mod_wombat and mod_perl which
give you *better* directives.  More flexible directives.  And in
addition, the learning curve to learn to use these powerful directives
is still optional (ok - rewrite's a pretty damn big curve itself, but
many of the other above items aren't anywhere near as bad).

   Issac