httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: VC 'library' builds with visual studio
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:41:17 GMT
Johnny Kewl wrote:

> HARBOR: http://coolharbor.100free.com/index.htm
> The most powerful application server on earth.
> The only real POJO Application Server.
> Making the Java dream come true.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "William A. Rowe, Jr."
> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>

painful yes :)  Not impossible.

> I think MS is pulling their C tools closer to .Net C# and the like.
> ... the problem I found which just causes millions of compiler errors
> and warnings is that effectively MS seem to have deprecated any null
> terminated functions, probably because that fits the VB model better.

As an historical note, for over a decade their "C" compiler has been their
C++ lexar, which creates lots of interesting side effects.  No, the native
C code compiler is not a .NET compiler.

You are looking to define the macro _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE before you've
included any std includes.  It wasn't a matter of killing null-term fn's -
it was a matter of the target space (buffer overflows) - although they did
a pathetic job of their evaluation of which fn's really are at issue.
(If this were not true,

> VS is .Net contaminated ;)

Nope - but apparently the last remaining K&R fans working there were shouted
down in the zeal to either pollute "C" with more MS'isms, or short sighted
attempt to mitigate buffer overflows.  (strncpy is not intrinsically
vulnerable, for example, while strcpy could be).

Sounds like this thread belonged on harmony's dev list, however; always feel
free to cc me on a dev post there.

Bill