httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Huge httpd-process
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:19:23 GMT
Hi Marten,

Marten Lehmann schrieb:
> Hello,
>
>> If you think this is a bug, please open a bug in bugzilla. Adding you
>> configuration
>> to the bug could be also helpful.
>
> in the meantime I have upgraded to 2.2.8, but I still sometimes see
> processes like this:
>
>  2069 nobody    15   0    1   0:46.23 87.6 2460m 1.7g 1564 D httpd
>
> httpd is consuming 87% of the ram. Why does he do that? How can I trace
> what the process is doing? I guess it is useless to post bug report
> without additional information.

This is likely not the answer you are looking for, but: if you think it
might be a leak, i.e. the amount of memory is slowly growing over
time/requests, you could use MaxRequestsPerChild. It will tell httpd to
end child processes after that many requests (more precisely
connections). httpd will automatically start new children if needed.

Don't set it to extremely small values though, because forking a lot of
processes (like 10 per second or even more) will be very inefficient.
How small is extremely small? You'll have to do some calculations about
how many requests per second a single httpd process is doing for you.

Concerning "what is using memory": anything interesting in
/proc/2069/maps ? It might be simply showing, that it's heap, but one
never knows ;)

Regards,

Rainer