httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: PR44641: Does patch make sense
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:34:36 GMT
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:08:53 -0500
"William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> > I am *not* worried about some sort of memory leak with the pool used
> > by register_hooks. It is the contrary: I am not sure if the
> > register_hooks pools gets destroyed / cleared too *early* or in
> > between so that we are pointing
> > to invalid memory. So please some eyes on this aspect.
>
> What happens is that a module must register itself during config, and
> remove itself from the hash during post-config.  Hopefully during the
> re-config phase it replaces it's own hash registration.
>
> If this doesn't happen and the module is removed from the list during
> a graceful restart, there will still be a hash entry into it.
>
> It's possible to do a pconf teardown resetting the hash, but if we
> reset while modules are unregistering themselves, we are back to the
> original fault.

Right, we need to exercise care with pool lifetime.

Let me resurrect my previous suggestion: a subpool which we
tear down in post_config.  We can also set the pool and the
hash to NULL, to make debugging easy if we or a module
developer screw up.  That of course also says modules should
NOT deregister themselves!

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/