httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2008 15:43:56 GMT
On 2/15/08 8:13 AM, "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ruediger.pluem@vodafone.com>
wrote:

> Any specific reason why we need to add an hook here and why this cannot be
> done by the existing provider (interface). I am scared of adding another
> level of indirection here if it is not really needed and things can be already
> done with the existing infrastructure.

I like hooks bcs providers are "one-shot."  I use both, but find my self
using hooks more and more.

A good example is the discussion around having stacked providers in
mod_cache.  If it were a hook, you'd already have that...

Providers are good when you will have one, and only one, "thing" that needs
to munge/manipulate/compute like database stuff.  With the proxy stuff, it
looks like we want "n" things to be able to manipulate the data.  Once you
make the leap from 1 to 2, might as well make it a hook.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer