httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Akins, Brian" <Brian.Ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:43:38 GMT
On 2/13/08 6:01 PM, "Graham Leggett" <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Is there anything stopping us going the multicasting route, say by
> adding a hook or hooks of some kind to proxy that keeps track of known
> server states?

Multicasting doesn't work well for us, for example, because servers are
spread across several different vlan's that explicitly don't allow multicast
between them.

If it were "hookable" or used providers, that would be fine.  I think sticky
sessions should be hookable/provider as well.

Someone could write a spread based module for origin status (or mysql, or
memcache, or...) if the interface was well defined and "clean."  The way
balancer is so hooked into proxy makes it hard to write a replacement
without hacking "core" proxy.  In proxy it could be as simple a call as:

apr_status_t ap_get_origin_server(request_rec *r, proxy_origin_t **o)

And that figures out all the balancer and sticky stuff.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer