httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: store_headers in memcache and diskcache
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 19:17:37 GMT

On Feb 5, 2008, at 7:58 PM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 01:49:43PM -0500, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>> On Feb 5, 2008 1:45 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik
>> <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:
>>> Caching experts --  why do memcache and diskcache have seemingly
>>> quite
>>> different caching strategies when it comes to storing the headers ?
>>> E.g. the cache_object_t * is populated with the status/date/etc data
>>> in memcache - but not in disk-cache. Is this work in progress or
>>> subtle design ?
>>>
>>> I am trying to understand (got  a working mod_memcached_cache.c* --
>>> and cannot quite get the right VARY behaviour).
>>
>> If I had to guess I'd say it's because people have actually been
>> working on disk cache, while mem cache has been largely ignored for a
>> while.
>
> Definitely! I remember the original patches tried to create some nice
> abstractions so that more logic would move into mod_cache propery than
> in mod_*_cache, but there turned out to be so many corner cases within
> mod_disk_cache itself - and noone seems to /use/ mod_mem_cache - that
> that fell by the wayside :/

Thanks ! That is useful info -- so for now I'll focus on
mod_disk_cache -- and once I got that mapped to mod_memcached -- will
then see if we can abstract that into a cleaner mod_memcache. But
first priority is getting it clean-ish/same-ish relative to the ssl
use of memcached (my usecase is OpenID -- which is 'heavy' on both).

Dw