httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:04:52 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 6:33 AM, Akins, Brian wrote:

> On 2/13/08 12:50 PM, "Jim Jagielski" <> wrote:
>> That was the other option as well... some sort of hearbeat
>> loop which updates worker status. Still, we get into the issue
>> with how much of "how proxy connects to and communicates with
>> the backend" to honor or work around.
> An external process (using serf maybe) would be easy.  Just have
> some of the
> worker stats in shared memory.  The healthchecker writes status to
> it, and
> httpd reads from it.

Yep... the process would fork off at Apache start time
and update it's own current health as well as update its
own knowledge of the health of the external backends...
Not convinced that multicasting is right for this due to
the types of architectures web servers usually find
themselves in :)

View raw message