httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_substitute docs
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:07:47 GMT

On Feb 14, 2008, at 9:00 AM, Rich Bowen wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2008, at 08:50, Eric Covener wrote:
>

>> Anyone else +1 for flatten-as-default and providing an option such
>> as:
>>
>> 'q'uick: Substitute more efficiently, but further substitutions will
>> not be able match across the boundaries of this substitutions
>> replacement string.
>
> Yes in concept. Don't know how much this affects performance - I had
> the impression that it would make things slower. Would it be
> possible to flatten only in the event that a second substitute is in
> fact called during the course of the same request?

It's not even just that "there is a second substitution" but rather
that the pattern/regex being looked for could possibly be the
result of a previous substition.

If you have to subs like

      s/foo/bar/
      s/plum/apple/

there is no way one could affect the other (or depend
on the other) so flattening is not required.