httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:09:03 GMT

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

>> We will never be able to completely avoid race conditions...
>> whether keepalives are in place or not.
>
> But at least the one that comes from the keepalive timer expiring on
> the backend at the same time I sent the request to it. If the
> backend answered to OPTIONS * on a keepalive connection it is
> reasonable to assume that the keepalive timeout will not expire
> until the real request hit the backend.
> Regarding other races I agree, but I think the above one is the
> one that is hit most frequently.

Ahh... but that goes back to one of my original questions:
do we honor force-proxy-request-1.0 and/or proxy-nokeepalive
for example or not... I can see reasons for both :)

And again, we're basically doubling traffic and adding
overheard (more overhead than AJP's cping/cpong) at which
point I go back into wondering whether this sort of
implementation makes sense at all...