httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: store_headers in memcache and diskcache
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:19:16 GMT
Josh,

On Feb 8, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:26 PM, josh rotenberg wrote:
>
>> grr, this cold is making me dumber than usual. the link:
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/modmemcachecache/
>
> Shame I did not discover your code before !
>
> Mine(1) looks fairly very similar - Except I sort of started with
> apr_brigade_pflatten() as well - but then removed it to see if that
> would let me cut off things which are too large earlier - and then
> got into the mess of re-allocing and what not. But that was propably
> the wrong path. Let me see if I can merge things a bit.

Ok - more or less merged a lot between both modules (2) --- al the
good bits are yours :) Does that make sense to you ?

Issues I am particularly torn over are:

-	change from re-alloc to brigades -- but this means we have 100-500k
chunks sitting in memory 2x or 3x

	---> ultimately perhaps apr_memcache needs to understands the
brigades perhaps.

-	passing of the info glob -- I guess we should make it perhaps number
\0number\0 or something for convenience and speed ?

-	I am making MD5 keys -- you are trusting the URI. What is best
really ?

-	create/open -- we could fetch it all already then.

-	Or defer to the actual header/body routines - as you and I do now.

-	Or just 'punt' and store the thing as one big wack - as generally
you are
	propably going to need both ?

-	Or should we get more clever and make the "Key" not just the URI but
everything
	under VARY -- but if we do that -- we should really do that for
mod_cache so
	that all modules would benefit - i.e. mod_disk_cache.

What are your thoughts ?

Dw

2 ttp://www.webweaving.org/tmp/mod_memcached-hack-2.c