httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: ping for http in mod_proxy
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:59:32 GMT

On Feb 13, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

> Agreed, but I doubt that it is possible with a reasonable amout of
> health
> check frequency to find out before the first real request falls
> through,
> provided that your health checks are designed to only fail if the
> backend
> is down. If your health checks are smarter and notice that the
> backend will
> fail soon (e.g. because it reached 98% or 99% percent of its
> capacity) then
> this is a different story and can be very useful.
> Regarding the reactivation of a failed backend I fully agree: Active
> health
> checks would be an asset here instead of just retrying failed
> backends periodically
> with real requests.

Ideally, it would be nice if we had better insight on the
actual health of the backends than a simple "do they respond
to OPTIONS * and how long does it take", but that's pretty
much all we can do unless go full-on multicasting of info
ala mod_backhand... At least the balancer is setup to allow
for load balancing based on that, if the submodule/provider
actually existed :)